Indian Participation at the 3rd China-Eurasia Expo
Urumqi, September 2-7, 2013
1. India is participating at the 3rd China-Eurasia Expo at Urumqi, Xinjiang from September 2-7, 2013. The China-Eurasia Expo is the biggest trade & investment promotion platform in Xinjiang and one of the biggest in China.
2. Ambassador of India to China, H.E. Dr. S. Jaishankar today morning inaugurated the India Pavilion at the venue of the Expo. He was joined by Mr. Chen Ji, Deputy Secretary General of the 3rd China-Eurasia Expo from the Chinese side and Mr. Pradeep Chandra, Principal Secretary & Commissioner, Industries and Commerce Department from the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
3. This is the first time India is officially participating in the China-Eurasia Expo. More than a dozen Indian companies are part of the India Pavilion, representing sectors like energy, banking, machinery, tractors, food processing, IT/ITES, infrastructure and SEZs. State Bank of India, GMR Group, Mahindra & Mahindra, Thermax, LMW Textile Machinery (Suzhou) Co. Ltd., Synthite Biotech Co. Ltd, Infotech Enterprises Ltd, Monarch Infotech Services, Sricity SEZ, and Roshni Seeds are some of the participating companies. The Indian delegation also includes a government and industry delegation from Andhra Pradesh.
4. 3rd September is being marked as India Day at the Expo. A high-level India-China Investment and Business Forum was organised in the forenoon at the 3rd China-Eurasia Expo. It was attended by around 100 Chinese companies. Ambassador Dr. S. Jaishankar addressed the gathering and invited companies from Xinjiang to invest in neighbouring India, particularly through the establishment of Chinese industrial zones, in pursuance of the consensus reached during the visit of Premier Li Keqiang to India in May 2013. Mr. Chen Jing, Deputy Secretary General, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region also addressed the companies. TBEA, one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the world with headquarters in Xinjiang, shared its experience of investing in India. TBEA’s first overseas manufacturing plant is anticipated to become operational in Vadodara by end of the year.
5. In the evening, an Indian cultural performance was staged by the Cultural Centre of the Embassy of India in collaboration with the Xinjiang Cultural Department.