“GLIMPSES OF INDIA” FESTIVAL
February 24, 2014
Pursuant to the mutual understanding reached during the visit of the Chinese Premier Mr. Li Keqiang to India in May 2013 and that of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to China in October 2013, year 2014 was designated as the India-China Year of Friendly Exchanges. As part of the festivities, the Indian Embassy in Beijing along with the Indian Consulates in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong will organize a series of cultural and business events under the "Glimpses of India" Festival across 12 cities in China.
2. In Beijing, the Year of Friendly Exchanges was formally inaugurated by the Vice President of the People's Republic of China Mr. Li Yuanchao at a reception hosted by the Ambassador of India to China Mr. Ashok K. Kantha on 24th January 2014.
3. The Glimpses of India Festival will feature Indian performing arts, exhibitions of modern Indian art and calligraphy, visual and photographic exhibitions on Buddhist heritage of India and links with China, scientific achievements of India, food festival,film festival, as well as events involving eminent Indian and Chinese scholars and writers. Tourism and business promotion events will also constitute key components of the Festival.
4. The 12 Chinese cities that will witness activities associated with the Festival include Beijing, Chongqing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Dali, Kunming, Shanghai, Urumqi, Lhasa, and Qingdao. The first set of events will be held beginning April 2014 in the cities of Beijing, Chengdu, and Hong Kong.
5. The Festival will be organized under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture which is bringing together other Ministries of the Government of India and institutions such as the Indian Council of Cultural Relations, Sahitya Kala Akademi, Lalit Kala Akademi, Kalakshetra, and the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
6. The activities and exchanges under the Glimpses of India Festival will further strengthen the people-to-people dimension of the India-China Strategic and Cooperative Partnership and contribute towards enhancing the understanding of India in China.
February 24, 2014