Electronic Indian Postal Order (eIPO) facility extended to Indian citizens residing in India also
The Department of Personnel and Training and Department of Posts had launched a service called e-IPO (Electronic Indian Postal Order) to enable Indian Citizens abroad to purchase an Indian Postal Order electronically by paying fee on-line through e-Post Office Portal i.e. http://www.epostoffice.gov.in. Now, Department of Posts has extended the "elPO" (electronic Indian Postal Order) service to Indian citizens residing in India also w.e.f. 13.02.2014, for purchasing Indian Postal Order electronically by paying a fee online through e-Post Office Portal)
- The facility of eIPO has been provided for Indian citizens to facilitate them to seek information from the Central Public Information Officers (CPIOs) under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, 2005. Debit or Credit Cards of any Bank powered by Visa / Master can be used to purchase e-IPO.
- The user needs to get registered at the website. He has to select the Ministry/Department from whom he desires to seek the information under the RTI Act and the eIPO so generated can be used to seek information from that Ministry/Department only.
- A printout of the eIPO is required to be attached with the RTI application. If the RTI application is being filed electronically, eIPO is required to be attached as an attachment
- This facility is only for purchasing an Indian Postal Order electronically. All the requirements for filing an RTI application as well as other provisions regarding eligibility, time limit, exemptions etc. will continue to apply.
- An eIPO so generated must be used only once with an RTI application.
The eIPO service was launched on 22nd March 2013 to facilitate Indian citizens across the globe to purchase an e-IPO by paying the fee online to access the information from the Central Public Authorities under the RTI Act, 2005.
1st April 2014