The Beijing International Book Fair (BIBF), now held twenty times since its inception in 1986, continues to uphold its principle of “introducing excellent books from around the world into China and leading Chinese books to the world”. Over the past twenty years, the BIBF has been an event of the utmost importance to publishers, and has received major support and participation from domestic and overseas book and publishing industries, gradually confirming BIBF's international brand status, and turning it into a major international publishing event incorporating copyright trade, book trade, cultural events, displays, consultation services and professional networking. The 21th Beijing International Book Fair will be held at the China International Exhibition Center (New Venue) from August 27 to August 31, 2014.
2. The National Book Trust (NBT), India is an apex body established by the Government of India (Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development) in the year 1957. The objectives of the NBT are to produce and encourage the production of good literature in English, Hindi and other Indian languages and to make such literature available at moderate prices to the public and to bring out book catalogues, arrange book fairs/exhibitions and seminars and take all necessary steps to make the people book minded.
3. In furtherance to the above objectives, NBT is mandated to publish (a) the classical literature of India (b) outstanding works of Indian authors in Indian languages and their translation from one Indian language to another (c) translation of outstanding books from foreign languages and (d) outstanding books of modern knowledge for popular diffusion. The major activities of NBT include publishing of non- textbooks, organizing Book Fairs, Book Exhibitions, conducting literary events, activities for children, training in publishing throughout the country, participating in International Book Fairs to promote Indian literature, providing financial assistance to NGOs, Authors or Publishers' bodies to organize various book promotional activities to encourage promotion of books and reading.
4. The NBT publishes general books which include works of fiction, books on social sciences, medical science and cutting edge technology for all segments of society and for all age-groups. The NBT also publishes a wide variety of books for children and post -literacy reading material for new-literates. Moderately priced, NBT publishes books under different series in English and in all major Indian languages of India. These relate to books on science &technology, environment, the land and people of India, and the books in Braille; designed especially for the general readers.
5. As the nodal body for the promotion of books both in India and abroad, NBT:
- Organises book fairs/exhibitions throughout the country at various levels. NBT has so far oganized 21 World Book Fairs in New Delhi, and nearly 400 State level book fairs and festivals.
- Participates in major international book fairs annually and showcases books from India.
- Makes books available at the doorsteps of the people through mobile exhibitions and on-line sales through its website.
- Has enrolled more than 80,000 Book Club Members throughout the country.
- Provides financial assistance to authors and publishers.
- Organises seminars and workshops.
- Organises special book fairs and literary programmes in the north-east to promote books and book reading in the region.
6. In line with its objective of showcasing books from India, NBT is participating in Beijing International Book Fair 2014. (Hall E2; Stall P34). Embassy of India, Beijing and National Book Trust invite people to visit NBT Stall during BIBF 2014.